Manhattan: Madison Square/
Park Avenue South (then Fourth Ave.) between E 26th and E 27th Sts.
Augustus Saint-Gaudens' 18-foot sculpture "Diana" topped Stanford White's Madison Square Garden (2) on this site. Saint-Gaudens and White thought the first version too large and replaced it with a 13-foot version in 1892. The first version was sent to Chicago to be installed on the Agricultural Building at Chicago's World's Columbian Exhibition. The second was presented to the Philadelphia Museum of Art by New York Life years after the building was destroyed in 1925.
Posted March 11, 2013 by gstavrou
McKim, Meade and White
Art and Design
New York - Art Capital
Fairs, Celebrations, and Expositions
Chicago World's Columbian Exposition of 1893
Madison Square Garden
New York Life Building Site
Stadiums and Arenas