Manhattan: Hamilton Heights/
East side of Convent Ave. one lot north of 141st St.
Alexander Hamilton's summer house, The Grange, was constructed just west of what is now Convent Ave. and 143rd St. in 1802. The 1811 Commissioner's Plan laid out streets and avenues up to 155th Street. When it was finally implemented in this part of Harlem in the 1880s, the Grange was found to be in its path. The house was bought and altered to fit into a new location in 1889 by the congregation of St. Luke's Episcopal Church, saving it from demolition. It was located here until 2008, when it was moved to its current site in St. Nicholas Park.