Manhattan: Bryant Park/
North side of 42nd St. between 5th and 6th Ave.
A 300 ft. octagonal iron-braced wooden tower was completed here in 1853 as part of the Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations--America's first world's fair. The tourist attraction was still in operation after the fair closed, but burned down in 1856. It was the first structure in New York to exceed the height of Trinity Church.