Manhattan: Madison Square/
Now E 27th St. and Park Ave. South
A tract of land bounded by 23rd St, 34th St., 3rd Ave., and 7th Ave (The Parade) was set aside as a U.S. Army drill area in 1807. What eventually became the intersection of 4th Avenue and 27th St. was home field for the New York Knickerbocker Base Ball Club. The club's leader, Alexander Cartwright, drew up the rules of modern baseball, to be played for the first time in Hoboken, N.J. in 1846 between the Knickerbockers and the New York Nine.